Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Memory T-Shirt Quilt

I have had such a good time working out the details of this particular quilt. I can't wait to see how it looks once I've completed it. A friend brought me a huge bag of T-Shirts and said for me to "make it any way I thought it would look good". I started cutting the quilt after Christmas.

First I had to find a fabric that went with the variety of T-shirt colors. It's important that the fabric compliments the shirts, you don't want the fabric to be the focus when you look at the quilt. In reading up on the best way to prepare shirts, one recommendation was to wash and dry all shirts and lay them out so they do not need to be ironed. This method really worked well because there were so many of them. I actually washed them in 5 loads so they had plenty of room to tumble dry and fluff out. Then I carefully cut all of the shirts to 12 1/2 inch blocks, except for the few shirts that were to big for that. I took the shirt pockets and cut them so that 4 of these squares would make a 12 1/2 inch block. I stitched the pockets closed so that pockets would snag fingers and toes to damage the pocket blocks once they were made.
Because memories are so precious, A good bit of my time working on this quilt was in the cutting of the blocks. There was also a fair amount of time in the layout of the blocks. For me it is important to get the layout just right.


Do you have any idea of the way you can lay out a T-shirt quilt with a lot of blocks. 

Now I have been stitching away at the blocks. 
I am avoiding working on other quilts until this one is complete. I can't wait to see this one through.
Here is some of the work in progress.

I will continue the updates on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment